Saturday, March 3, 2007

The week after

Monday
I did no training. I had the day off work and we had a delicious breakfast at Kiosk in Husky and then a lovely time checking out some beaches in the Jervis Bay area. In the evening I was feeling very tired and a bit teary and grumpy - a definite sign of over-tiredness.

Tuesday
I decided not to get up and ride and slept in instead. I rode to work and did an easy 2k swim at lunchtime in 40 minutes - pretty slow. I am still feeling tired and my legs are sore in strange and unusual places - like the back of my thighs and the outside of my calves.

Wednesday
I did a 14k run in the morning, aiming for an easy comfortable pace. I felt reasonably good. My split for the CR 5k on way back was 27 minutes.

I went to squad in the evening and we ended up doing a pretty long set. 500FS, 600Pull building each 200, 12x25 on 40 seconds sprint the odds. Then 10x50 on 60 seconds, finger tip drag drill on the odds. Then 20x100 coming in on 1.45 and leaving on 2. This pace felt good but definitely getting hard to maintain by the last few. Total distance 3.8k. I was extremely impressed by a new guy who was doing squad for the first time and did the whole set - what a legend.

Thursday
I rode at SOP. I was STILL feeling a bit tired and I was definitely only going to go with Group 4. But I was late and when I got there what I thought was group 4 was rolling out so I chased them. I had to work very hard (with a couple of other guys) for the whole first lap to catch the group by the pool, only to realise duh! it was Group 3. So the next four laps were pretty hard for me, I really recovered on the hill every lap and just about got dropped during the very last 2k - I was just sitting off the back behind someone else, staying on but not rolling through. Someone pointed out that there was a former multiple world champion in our group - having an easy day of course! :)

Then I made the mistake of complaining to Annalisa my adventure racing friend about being tired from the weekend and she gave me a lecture about triathletes being famous for not listening to their bodies and getting over-trained. I didn't feel I deserved this lecture, but its always a good message to remember.

Afterwards I rode with a bunch straight into town instead of home first then work so I could met a friend from Canberra for breakfast. We went to the famous "bills" which I have been wanting to try since moving to Sydney. I was really disappointed! It was fine but not worth the price - $16.80 for hotcakes with banana, $16.30 for scrambled eggs, toast and tomato. The food was good quality but there was not the attention to detail and extra-specialness I expected. I would not go back.

Thursday night we went to see Yo La Tengo at The Metro. It was really good, Ira absolutely ROCKED and it was a completely different show to the last time we saw them a few years back at the ANU with 30 people in the audience and no stage. :) But it was a late night which I just cannot handle at the moment - I just hope it won’t screw me for the weekend.

Friday
I slept in till 8.30 again, then the train was very late so I was very late for work - whoops! I wanted to fit in a run today but knew it wasn't to be with the late night. I decided that rather than go to squad I would do a longer swim on my own straight after work so I could get home and get to bed as early as possible. I made up the following set: 600FS, 600Pull, 4x400 on 7.30 with 30 seconds recovery, 10x100 on 1.45 with 15 seconds recovery, 200 BK - total 4k and I felt good.

No comments: