Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Grumbles

Well, I didn’t enjoy squad last night. We did 800FS, 12 x 25 sprint on 40 breathing only twice per 25, 3 x 4x50 with the kickboard between your legs on 1.15, breathing every 3,4,5,6 strokes, 8 x 75 on 1.30 with 25 sprint in each 75 and then THE DRILL FROM HELL: swimming with a kickboard between your legs is hard enough, but then try doing it for 25m using only 1 arm, then 25 using only the other arm. It was very hard, I felt completely unco, and couldn't really see the point. We were supposed to do 10x50 but I only did 8 then the 200m warm down - only 2.9k total but I was over it. I was really cold for most of the set and then I had to ride home in the rain and dark. Not much fun! Whinge whinge whinge.

Then this morning I headed out to SOP. The road was wet but it wasn't actually raining. Group 3 didn’t really work for me today. First up I got a lecture from some guy about not "soft pedalling" on the front on my turn. Fair call probably, I am not very good at that, but we had started out much slower than usual and he didn’t have to be so rude and patronising about it. Then we were all over the place, with people dropping off the back, refugees from Group 2 coming back to us, some guy sitting right at the back the whole time (which is okay if you are struggling and need a short rest but I don’t think you should do that for the whole session because it can be dangerous) and then two people got into an argument about some bunch etiquette issue I missed the details of. Then at the start of the last lap I look around and its suddenly just me and 5 blokes. Uh-oh, testosterone alert. Then just as we finished it started raining quite heavily! Oh well, I tried to look on the bright side, at least it held off till we finished and I got to do my ride, much better than Thursday. I came home and went for a 30 minute run. For the first 10 mins my legs felt a bit heavy but then I felt much better and enjoyed my run. Then back on the bike, into work, got my hard-earned coffee and banana bread and the world looked much better. :)

No comments: