Sunday, March 4, 2007

200k in a day and run/swim/run

Well, another good weekend is under the belt, done and dusted, locked in etc.

Yesterday the plan was to do 200k on the bike. I wasn't too fussed if we did 160, 180, 199.9, 200 or whatever, but my training buddies were keen and I was happy to go along for the ride. I left the house at 5.15am and got back at 3pm so it was a loooong day. About 7 hours of that was riding time, the rest was fixing flats, refilling water bottles, the obligatory Baker's Delight stop and all the usual stuffing around. We rode from Centennial to La Perouse to Sublime, back to Waterfall through the Royal National Park (big hill!) then out to Kurnell and the National Park there (beautiful!), then back to the city then home. All in all I had a good day and I felt pretty strong. Total ride was 205k, average speed 29kph (though I was doing plenty of drafting to achieve that). I came home and tried to watch the live Ironman NZ coverage on the net but I could not get it to work. Settled for the athlete tracker function to "watch" Julie and Dave finish.

Today I ran into town to do the Sydney Harbour Swim and then ran home after. The run is about 13k each way and the swim was 1.6k. I felt great on the first run, got to registration with about 30 minutes to spare and had a good stretch. The swim was enjoyable, esp because the water was nice and cold - its been so hot and humid here the past few days. There was a bit of chop and current and I think my navigation was less than perfect, but I finished in about 27 minutes. Not brilliant but fine for a training swim. I was 11th in my age group out of 40. Then I ran home again. My legs still felt surprisingly fine, but I was feeling a bit tired and a bit over it. I was 3 minutes slower coming back and was glad to be home and finished my training for the day.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Wow! That's a HUGE weekend Zoe. I feel tired just reading about it! You are going to have a wonderful IM debut!