Sunday, March 25, 2007

Back on track

I still have a nasty sounding cough but I am feeling much better, great in fact! Could be something to do with the mega-excitement.

After doing absolutely no training at all from Monday - Thursday, I got back into on Friday. After work I went for an easy 2k swim then easy 40 min run around the Bay. The swim felt great, the run felt pretty average. It was really windy and I felt crap, but I figured that was probably to be expected.

On Saturday we had decided on a "late" start of 6.30 - the extra 30 mins sleep was great. And we were "only" riding to Waterfall, what a treat. Unfortunately we were cursed with 6 flat tires so still didn't get back to the park until 10.30. Then we ran 2 short laps, took about 38 minutes for about 8k, so it was a fairly quick pace but it felt good. After a nice stretch and plenty of chat about guess what, I drove to Coogee for a recovery dip. It was so beautiful. I remembered to vote on the way home.

Today (Sunday) I stayed in bed till about 9 and then ran 14k around the Bay. I finished in 1.16 so I was probably going a little faster than I should (steady pace), but I guess I was keen to get home and be finished. I was going to go for a swim this afternoon but decided to give it a miss. At this point my number 1 priority is getting plenty of rest and recovery.
I can't quite believe that in exactly one week I will running the marathon at Ironman Australia. I am getting pretty nervous. I said to a friend yesterday that I have never felt so well prepared for a race, but also never so uncertain as to what will transpire on the day.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Woohoo. Woohoo. Woohoo. I'm soooo excited for you!

You are very well prepared Zoe. You have had a fantastic preparation - stay centred & you will have a wonderful & enjoyable IM debut :-)

When are you heading up to Port?

miners said...

Hope you haven't freaked out too much by being sick last week. It's to be expected when you start to bring your body back down from such a long and intense program and it happens all the time. In a way, it's a good way for the body to tell you to just take it easy for a little while.

As everyone has undoubtedly mentioned to you, you won't lose any fitness in these last 2-3 weeks, so just make sure you're nice and rested and fresh when it comes to April 1st :)

Jen said...

Woohooooooooooo!

Congratulations you IRONMAN. Sorry we didn't get to meet over the weekend but I can't wait to read your race report!

miners said...

come on Zoe - I have to leave for QLD in the morning, and I'm DYING to hear how you went!!!

Jen said...

C'mon Z. Your fans are waiting for a race report on an IRON(WO)MAN
:-)