Sunday, March 11, 2007

Last big session

I was very pleased with myself today. It seems that the day off yesterday did wonders for me and I felt really good on my run. Woo hoo! :)

I started out with a 4k continuous wetsuit swim at the Dawn Fraser Baths. I have not done much wetsuit swimming and I wanted to see how my arms and back felt after that distance. I seem to get a sore back in the wetsuit, I guess because my legs are higher in the water so it is an unfamiliar body position. Just something I have to get used to. By the end my arms were tiring and my back was a bit sore, but it was fine. I took it at a very leisurely pace and finished in 1.12. I am not too sure how that will translate to race day, but I am happy with where I am.

Then I was off for a 3 hour run. I had been debating where to run, should I do 4 laps of the Bay, or go into the City and across the Harbour Bridge and back, or attempt to explore the Harbour Circle Walk even though I was not sure of the way or... decisions! Even when I started running I had not decided, but then after a few minutes I had a great idea - I could do a mini simulation of the IM run course, ie 2 laps with the first half of each lap flat and the second half hilly. I was excited by this idea, so I did 2 x a lap of the Bay plus the canal, then to the bottom of the far side of the Anzac Bridge and back. Each lap is about 16k I think and I finished in 3.05. I felt GREAT. My 5k CR split on the second lap was 26.45. I thought I was going to really struggle on the second hilly section but I just kept feeling good. So it was an excellent way to end my build and start my taper. I still have plenty of training to do for the next 3 weeks, but I won't run that long again.

Came home, ATE, and had an ice bath which felt really good. Then I spent some time reading the 6 Foot Track posts on CoolRunning. I am so impressed with all who did it and I can't wait to read more stories. I saw someone out - walking! - this morning wearing a shiny new 6ft t-shirt and I couldn't help but call out "well done!" Now that is a race I would love to do. I am not sure when though ... one day I guess.

1 comment:

Jen said...

You've had such a wonderful preparation Zoe you should be filled with lots of confidence that your IM debut is going to be a wonderful experience!

Thanks for all your support for Six Foot. It is a great race which I'd highly recommend!