Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The wrong side of the bed

I was accused of having gotten up on it this morning, as I stumbled around in the dark muttering and changing from my cycling gear to my running gear. I got up at 5.15 to ride to SOP, checked the BOM radar, not much rain around, so off I went. As I got out the door it started drizzling softly. By the end of the street it was really coming down and so I abandoned ship. So I decided to have a go on the wind trainer, which I have actually never used before. I buggered around for ages trying to get it right, seemed too easy, then too hard, then after about 10 minutes I discovered I had it completely wrong and my tire was melting!! So I pulled the plug - the trainer was set up in the bathroom ;) - and went for a nice simple 10k run instead. After all that I decided to go watchless and just enjoy it.

Swimming last night was also noteworthy. I was 30 minutes late and on the way in the lady at the desk said "I don't know why you are bothering" but I said "Better late than never". And it was worth it because I got a stern pep talk from the coach. The basic gist was that I don't push myself hard enough (in races) and I can swim faster than I think I can and he does not want me "bludging" in the slow lane any more. He said do 5x100 on 1.45 which I thought I could never do, but I did it. It was really hard but I did it. So it got me thinking about my attitude. I like to think that I am just conservative, rather than negative or pessimistic. But maybe that is just linguistics. Food for thought for me.

Just going back one more day to my long run on Sunday. I was pretty buggered and also waited till the afternoon to do it, so it was feeling even harder. Hence I decided to break my self-imposed rule against the iPod on long runs and take it. It was funny because I listened to an episode of Ironman Talk and Bevan did this big spiel about being kind to yourself in training, and if that means listening to music sometimes that is fine, and its better to enjoy a session and get through it than really struggle and end up miserable. So I felt totally vindicated.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I'm sure there is a difference between conservative & negative - but I have absolutely no idea what it is either I'm afraid!