Sunday, February 4, 2007

Absolutely classic



This morning I swam in the 2k option at the Cole Classic ocean swim at Manly Beach. For my first ever ocean swim it was FANTASTIC. We got there and I had to laugh at my fears of big surf, because there was hardly any surf at all. (The surf report online said "don't bother").

My wave started at 11.13am, females 20-29, with pink and green caps. It was easy to get out through the virtually non-existent waves. There were lots of people to follow, the cans were clearly visible and there were no rips, so navigation was no problem. There was a very small swell but no chop so breathing was no problem. You could see the bottom most of the way, and around near Shelly Beach there were lots of rocks and pretty fish and scuba divers to look at. I had to keep reminding myself that it was not a triathlon so I should not be taking it too easy. I finished in 32.45, which I was happy with. The salt water makes a difference with bouyancy. Results are not up yet, but I will be interested to see where I sit. Somewhere in the middle I predict. ;)

Then Tom and I went headed off for a run. First we did a lap out to North Head, the views there are so spectacular! Then we headed along the Manly Scenic Walk towards The Spit. Tom turned back around Fairlight as he was doing 70 minutes, and I kept going out and back to finish at Manly after 2 hours total. It was hot and I was feeling fairly tired and slow, but it was fine. I had 2 gels, at 45 mins and 90 minutes, and drank about 2 litres of water.

Now I am happy and satisfied to have made it to the end of another week intact. And I did all the training I wanted. Approx totals for the week - Swimming: 9km/3.5hours, Cycling: 330km/12.5hours, Running: 47k/4.5 hours.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Wow. What a great & huge day you've had. I love that run to Manly!

Now I'm in Canberra this weekend & it looks like I'll be riding rather than running (bummer). I'm probably looking at about 40-50k. Any suggestions?

miners said...

Noticed you giving Ellie some encouragement for her multi-sport stuff. Glad to see you enjoyed the day at Manly so much and congrats on getting through it so well!