Saturday, February 3, 2007

Another week of fun

Monday
I slept in after the race and felt pretty good when I woke up. I rode to work and went to swim squad in the evening and did 3.6k, feeling comfortable. I had a chat to a lane buddy about the Whale Beach to Palm Beach ocean swim over the weekend. It sounded beautiful. I really hope the Manly Swim next weekend has similar fine conditions. I am started to get a bit freaked about my first proper ocean swim. Like maybe I am crazy to think I can do it.
Tuesday
I got up at 5.15 to ride at SOP. It was a bit of a scrappy morning. I started out with Group 4 but at the end of the first lap there was some confusion - not a good thing in a bunch! - about whether we were going straight or turning right due to some road closures. Thankfully no one came to grief, but about 6 of us who went straight got separated behind the main group. I tried for 1 lap to catch back up but after another lap on my own they were nowhere in sight so I waited for Group 5. But then an older guy decided to "whip up the pace" in 5 and started telling people to pull through faster, and within minutes the group had disintegrated completely and I was by myself again. All in all not the most consistent ride. Rode to work.

At lunch time I went to PITD. I started to feel, a bit like I did when I was training for the marathon, that it is too fast and I don’t have the legs for it. But its actually possible to do it a slower pace and stay with the group, just stay towards the back for the intervals and then jog the recovery a bit faster, and still get a worthwhile run, so I will continue for as long as I continue to enjoy it. In the evening I was feeling really tired and a bit worried that it is only Tuesday and I am tired already.
Wednesday

Today I got up for a long-ish run. I wanted to do 80 minutes which is about 14k - from home, around the bay, and back. I was feeling really tired and unenthusiastic so I decided to be kind to myself and take my Ipod. Tom ran with me for the first 20 minutes then he turned back and I plugged in and plodded on. I continued to feel tired but listening to an Ironman Talk podcast was a great distraction and I got through the run unscathed mentally and physically. Rode to work.
In the evening I went to swim squad. It was a relatively long set - 500FS, 600pull, 10x50FS, 2x (4x100, 200, 2x50kick) then another bit I can't remember and 200BK, total was 3.8k. After the swim I remarkably felt much fresher, better and more positive than I had for the previous 24hrs. Gotta love that.
Thursday

Up again for SOP ride. Today was much better than Tuesday. We keep a consistent pace, maybe a tiny bit slow? Our average speed was 35kph for 40 minutes. There was this one guy in the bunch who I thought was going too fast, each time it was his turn he went through really fast and didn’t slow when he rolled over - and I was the rider behind him. I thought about saying something to him but he looked like a much more experienced rider than me so I just made sure I got away from him in the bunch. I guess I am still learning the etiquette of the whole thing. When I got home I ran for 20 mins with the Ipod. It was hard at the start but after 15mins I started feeling more comfy. Then I jumped back on the bike and rode to work.
In the evening I was still feeling good and "not tired enough" :) The temptation to skip my rest day tomorrow is great - maybe just a little swim. But no, I will be strong! I have a scary big weekend ahead of me.
Friday

REST DAY. I even took the train to work. What a good girl.

No comments: