Friday, February 9, 2007

Midweek miles

Tuesday
This morning I got up and rode out to SOP. On the way there I was tossing up between groups 3 and 4 but I was about 2 minutes late and so 3 was rolling out just as I was arriving. That was enough to put me off, so I went with 4, but then I ended up feeling frustrated because the pace was just a touch slow. I made up this for by sprinting up the hill on each lap, but no one else seemed to want to play. Oh well, it'll have to be 3 on Thursday now.

I wasn't at work today so I couldn't make it to PITD. Instead I decided to run about an hour at slightly-faster-than-normal pace. I was feeling a bit down so I wanted a good run to cheer me up. I started out feeling pretty good and I decided to try to do a negative split. I timed myself on the 1k by the canal and did it in 5.30. I got to the turnaround point in 32.30 so I figured I had to be back home before 1.05. I picked up the pace and was surprised how good my legs kept feeling. The same 1k on the way back was 4.58 and I was back home in 1.02, and was well pleased! This made me feel ridiculously great - I was on a big high after that. gMaps tells me its 5.5k to my turnaround, but I am sure its more like 5.75. :)

Wednesday
I was pretty sure I was going to pay for yesterday's fast run on my long run today. I wanted to do about 90mins/16k on my Bay Run + Balmain Cove Hill loop. I didn’t feel grrrreeeat, but it was okay. I didn’t have anything to eat before I started and I took a muffin bar but I didn’t eat it, so I was flatting big time by the end.

I could not make it to squad tonight and I was disappointed about this because Dani had promised a nasty set. I decided to do a 3k continuous swim at lunch time instead. My stupid old goggles gave me no end of trouble - I really need to get a new pair. I decided to take splits for each 500 to check my consistency but then I accidentally deleted them. Silly girl. Total time was 58 mins - not too flash, but it did include lots of stuffing around with the bloody goggles. And I felt less tired towards the end than I did on my last 3k continuous swim, so I was happy with it.

Thursday
Surprise - back to SOP this morning. This time there was no vacillating and I went with group 3. This turned out just fine, it was pretty big so the turns were infrequent and the pace was consistent. All in all a very enjoyable ride. When I got home I ran for 30 minutes off the bike - down to the river, across, along a bit and back, about 5k total. I did exactly the same time each way which is good because it’s downhill there and uphill back, so I got better as I went along and the legs got going. I finished the run feeling super pleased with my week so far and even more pleased that it’s a rest day tomorrow and I don’t have any more training to do till Saturday. Repeat: Rest day tomorrow. No training till Saturday. Whoo hoo. :)


No comments: