Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Kayak for Kids

On Sunday I participated in the Lifestart Kayak for Kids, a 20k paddle

from Manly to Blues Point. A friend from Canberra Steve was in Sydney for the weekend, has a double sea kayak and needed a partner. Having not paddled much, I was a little nervous about how my arms would hold up and how long it would take, but I knew was in good hands with Steve.

This was the first year so there was a small field of around 60 teams, about half corporate teams paddling 3 person sit-on-tops (described as like paddling a fridge) and the other half in single and double sea kayaks and surf skis. Steve had borrowed a fancy PFD for me, complete with its own bladder which you could drink from hands-free, and a super fancy carbon fibre paddle, so I was very well equipped.

It was an incredibly gorgeous, calm and sunny morning as we set off from Manly wharf. Sitting in the front Steve was responsible for steering and setting a good paddling rate, so all I had to do was try to match it. I was surprised how easy and good it felt to paddle. I think it was a combination of a lovely boat, a super light paddle and a strong paddler in front of me.

The first leg took us straight across Manly Cove and around to CP1 at Clontarf Beach. We cruised along at a good pace, enjoying a perfect day on the world's most beautiful harbour. Steve called out a friendly greeting to each boat and every one agreed what a sensational day it was and how great to be there.

From Clontarf was a short leg to CP2 at the end of Balmoral Beach and we started passing the floating fridges who had a half hour start on us. From Balmoral we paddled around Middle Head and into Obelisk Bay, where the marker buoy was close enough to shore for us to identify that it was a nudist beach. I wondered what they thought of the parade of passing boats but we didn't hang around long enough to find out and paddled on to CP3 at Chowder Bay.

Around this point we must have slowed down a bit and two other double sea kayaks caught up to us. We said our friendly greetings but simultaneously picked up the pace, and by the time Steve had expertly steered us through the moored boats at Little Sirus Cove to CP4 we had lost them.

From there we were on the home stretch and as we came around Cremorne Point the Harbour Bridge came into view. I remarked to Steve that I have ridden over it, climbed to the top of it and run across it in a marathon, but I had never paddled underneath it. Just like the other 3
things it was fun and a bit scary to do so. The conditions were rougher with some swell and we took on a bit of water, but I felt very safe with Steve in control. We cruised across the finish line at Blue's Point in 2 hours 6 mins, which I believe is respectable. We were the second double sea kayak to finish and first in the mixed category so we even got prizes which was cool.

I am very keen to do this again next year (hopefully with some more paddling in my arms) and encourage others to do it too, because it was a beautiful way to spend a Sunday morning. I pulled up a little sore in my wrists and shoulders but nothing dramatic.

Here is a link to Steve's report with photos and GPS maps.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Wow Zoe, you're amazing! Six Foot one week; 5 hr multisport the next; then trying your hand at a 20k kayak!

Looking forward to catching up with you this weekend!