Sunday, April 13, 2008

SMH Half Marathon training Week 1

So my next goal event is the SMH Half marathon. I am not feeling all that enthusiastic about it, I would rather be doing something longer or more interesting, but seeing as I am entered I figure that doing some solid focused training might help get me keen.

Monday
12k run at Port Macquarie on the Ironman run course. Nothing like running on the IM course to make you keen. There were lots of other people with the same idea, it was almost like a fun run. I felt pretty good and maintained a good tempo-ish pace.

Tuesday
My return to Pain in the the Domain. Its been a long time, but it felt better than I expected. I went with the 32 minute group, but we finished in 30:40 and I was happy with my effort in each interval. (Except the damn 3rd last one where I always seem to struggle.) Jogged to and fro from work, so a total of about 10k.

Wednesday
My birthday so I gave myself a birthday treat of a 14k run around the Bay. I always love a longish midweek run. I felt good the whole way.
After work I did a quick 1.5k swim before we went out for an 8 course degustation dinner.

Thursday
No running but I had a wonderful massage. As always I felt much better afterwards and ready to take on the world.

Friday
Made it to squad in the morning for 3.5k in the pool - I always love Friday morning squad, its such a good way to start the end of the week. After work I did my 6 x Lilyfield Rd reps. I struggled a bit mentally but kept each one under 1:30. Total of about 11k running.

Saturday
Nothing. Went to see Lars and The Real Girl - wonderful movie.

Sunday
Did about 22k from home, around the Bay and into the City. I have only done one long run since 6ft and I really felt it. The first 10k were okay, the last 10 were pretty ugly. I really need to run long every week now.

All in all a good solid week, and if I can do another 4 or so like that I think I will be in good shape. At the moment my goal for the SMH is to beat last years time - 99 mins.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Happy belated birthday!

I hear you on the "longer & more interesting" comment. It's hard to get excited after Six Foot, isn't it??

So what's the next BIG goal? Back to IMOZ next year?