Monday, May 14, 2007

First time on the podium


Wow, what a red letter day! Today I got 3rd place in the 5km at the Hague Royal Ten fun run. I got flowers, and a trophy and even 10 Euro prize money. I was totally stoked. It was not a big field, maybe 250 people altogether, as the 10k is the big deal. While I was disappointed not to do the 10k, I was very glad with the outcome. I felt like a star.

It was a bit of a stress entering, dropping off my bag, renting Championchip etc, all without a word of Dutch, but I made it to the start line. It was a completely flat course and a cool day. I started out quite quickly and did the first 1k in 4.02. I knew that was too quick.

After that there were not many people around and I was looking ahead at a women in a yellow singlet (YS). She looked like she was not out of my league, ie she did not have that great running form and she was lean but not super toned or muscled, so I decided I could try to chase her. I caught up to her and decided to try and stay with her.

There was a turn around at about 2k and I (incorrectly) counted that there was only 1 other woman ahead of me and YS, so figured we were in 3rd and 2nd. Shortly after that I moved ahead of YS and thought I would just do my own thing. The next k was 4.13 and then 4.30 - I was flagging abit but told myself it was only 2k to go.

With just over 1k to go I could hear people coming up behind me and looked and saw that it was YS and a man. As they got right behind me I realised the man was not in the race and was pacing YS. They ran just behind me for a little while, and then I thought hang on, I don't want her behind me where she can make a sneaky move, so I slowed just a fraction.

They moved right next to me and I saw him signalling with his hand for her to 'hold'. Two thoughts went through my mind quickly. First was, give up, let them go, I don't care, she can take it, I'll probably still get third. But then I got angry and thought I don't want to let her beat me when she had this guy helping her, I am going to give this everything I have and see what happens.

We came around a corner into the final straight and there was 400m to go. Pacing man pulled off the course, I gave him a filthy look and then I started going as fast as I could. I kept looking back to see where YS was, but she did not keep up with me. With about 100m to go it was really hurting and I told myself to block it out.

It was a great feeling coming across the line and knowing I had "won", not the race, but the race with YS. She and another fast finishing woman were just behind me. I forgot to stop my watch but I saw the time 21.12 on the clock when I crossed the line.

I was given a little finishers medal and rose and an official told me the ceremony would be in about 15 minutes. I spoke to YS briefly and she said there were actually 2 women in front of us and so we were 3rd and 4th. Then I was even more pleased that I had not given in. There was a little ceremony, all in Dutch ofcourse, I just stood on the podium and smiled and waved my bunch of flowers for the photographer. It was pretty cool!!

I watched the start of the 10k, it looked like some pretty serious runners at the front, Kenyans etc. Then I rushed back to the hotel to shower and change before chairing a meeting for 4 hours.

Afterwards I thought how it was really fun to "race" against someone, though its not what I usually do. I also thought about the pacing thing. It seemed sooo unfair to me, but I don't know. In triathlon its completely against the rules and she would have been DQd. But it seems like its different in running. I also thought about what I should do with my prize money. Probably frame it. :)

1 comment:

miners said...

hey, how cool is that!? Congrats Zoe - fantastic result and an even better race report. Wish you had managed to trip up the pacer or something in the process - otherwise, I think it was the prefect race and the perfect result :)