Saturday, May 12, 2007

19 knots

That was the speed of the wind this morning at the beach at Scheveningen, where I chose to take my long run. It was also raining. The first half of the run was not too bad. I had a couple of old eps of Ironman Talk to catch up on on the iPod and I just plodded along. But when I turned around after about 9k I had to head straight back into the wind. The section on the waterfront was ridiculous, I could literally hardly move, it was blowing so strongly. I was also soaking wet by the end, and seriously questioning my sanity. But I had a reward to look forward to. I allow myself one morning of allyoucaneat hotel buffet breakfast and today was the day. It included a healthy portion of the Dutch speciality of chocolate sprinkles on white bread. Gotta love that.

Tonight we had dinner at a REALLY really lovely restaurant called C'est Ca. They only have a very small menu and it changes every day, depending on what is good at the markets. I had crab cake, butterfish with white asparagus and lobster risotto, and banana cake with rum sauce. The very nice (English speaking) waitress just loved that I called my coffee a flat white. Anyway, highly recommended as a special but not too expensive dinner spot in The Hague.

I was bitterly disappointed today because I won't be able to do the 10k on Sunday - I have a meeting instead! But I will be able to do the 5k I think, so that was a small consolation. Tomorrow I will have a rest day.

No comments: