Saturday, January 13, 2007

Yeeha - 120k solo

I got up at 5.15 this morning to ride, checked my phone and there was an SMS saying it was pouring rain with 40kph winds down south, so the bunch ride was off and we should get on the roller or windtrainer. 120k on a windtrainer? I couldn't face it so I went back till bed until 7 and then pondered what to do. The weather had improved but I didn't really fancy doing a long ride in Sydney by myself, I am still pretty hopeless knowing where to go. I was going to drive to Canberra for the night after my ride so I decided just to go to Canberra and ride on familiar territory. After a quick drive down the Hume listening to some Ironman Talk podcast, I headed off from Hawker at about 2pm. I was dreading it. Not that I don't love riding, but I much prefer to go with someone or a bunch, and I was worried that I just wouldn't be up to or bothered to do the 120 I wanted to do. I decided to do a very simple ride, north up the Federal Highway to Collector and back. Some would say its not all that pleasant but I don't mind it. Anyway, once I got going it was fine, I really enjoyed it and did the full 120 in 4.45. My average speed was 26kph which is good for me. There was a headwind on the way out and a so lovely tailwind on the way home. Fortunately not one of those days when you turn around and suddenly the wind does too. I was so pleased with myself that I did this solo. Its given me some extra confidence, not for the race so much, but for the training.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Sensational ride Zoe. I know where Collector is - we decided to drive through it on the way back from my last visit to Canberra. I have no idea why ;-)