Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Triple Tri Training - Week 2 - 22/09 - 28/09

Monday
AM - 10k run around Mt Ainslie in Canberra. This is one of my favourite places to run and it was a gorgeous warm morning.
I flew home to Sydney after work, the flight was delayed and I was sooo tired and grumpy. I must have been frowning and sighing rather prominently because the man sitting next to me on the plane actually asked me if I was okay.

Tuesday
Unscheduled rest day. I was planning to get up and ride but it was raining when the alarm went off at 5.00. I went back to sleep until 7, which felt good. I slept for 10 hours so I must have been buggered. I was also planning to run at lunch but I was busy at work and decided I probably needed a rest day anyway.

Wednesday
AM - Swim squad 3.8k. I felt good but I don’t seem to be getting to be getting any faster yet.
PM - 14k run with Tom. This was an amazing run for me. It started out really bad - Tom wanted to go quick and it felt too hard for me. We had run all the way around the Bay and were steadily getting faster and then Tom said we had to keep it up until we got to the netball courts. I protested but he said it was a good challenge. And suddenly I felt great. For the next 1km I ran so well and it felt so easy. I was imagining that I was running a marathon at my perfect marathon pace and each step was strong and controlled. It was a feeling I have never had before running - like riding with a big tail wind. To top it off I beat Tom on our 'race home' for the first time. I was on such a high after. :)

Thursday
AM - 45k Ride at SOP with group 4. I am still feeling heavy and slow on the bike.
PM - Lunchtime swim at C&P. 2.6km continuous in 51.39. Slow slow slow and it is so boring swimming 52 laps without stopping. I am so not looking forward to 2.8 next week.

Friday
AM - Swim squad, 3.7k. I was slow - I couldn't make 1.40 for 100 fast at the end of the set, even trying really hard. I guess 3 days in the pool in a row didn't work well but I was pleased to fit in 3 decent swims.

On Saturday we drove down to Fitzroy Falls for the Fitzroy Falls Firetrail Marathon 10k. I had kinda wanted to do the marathon but with a slightly niggly knee and other fish to fry I decided not to. I figured that I would get more benefit out of a week of good training either side than I would out of 1 42k long run. The 10k was good fun. I went out too hard and struggled a bit on the hills coming back. My time was 46.14 which is a bit slower than I hoped, but I scored a bottle of wine for 2nd place. It was kind of embarrassing because I was 10 mins (10 mins!) behind the winner. But it was still nice.

On Saturday night we camped at Wingello with some friends and had a really good night in the pub and toasting marshmallows on the fire. Then on Sunday we did a great ride on the 25k Red Loop at Wingello. I really enjoyed this trail - very smooth single track, nice native bush, fast and fun firetrails. I will be back to ride it again for sure.

Weekly totals

Swim: 10.1km - good.

Bike: 45k road, 45k commute, 25k mtb - not great but could be worse.

Run: 34k - low ks and no long run.

All up I was happy but objectively it was a pretty light week, especially the weekend. I really need to get in some longer mtbs. Mt knee felt fine running but I am not sure how it'll go with longer stuff.

No comments: