Friday, September 26, 2008

Triple Tri Training Week 1 - 15/09 - 21/09

Monday
AM: LPAC Swim squad 3.7k. I am loving swimming in the morning. It makes for a lot of 5AM starts but it is so nice to be done with a long session by 7 in the morning.

Tuesday
AM: 45k ride at Homebush, group 4/5. I felt a little tired on the way there and consoled myself with the thought that my focus at the moment is on consistency. Just getting out on the bike consistently is going to make a difference, eventually. It was very windy and I hung on with some difficulty until the group exploded at the end.
PM: Pain in the Domain. I went with group 5 as its been awhile since I did anything fast. I felt pretty good except for on the long interval when I was slack. Finished in in 30.05 which is not bad.

Wednesday
AM: LPAC Swim squad 3.9k - a good solid swim.
PM: Lunchtime run from work around Centennial Park, 9k approx. I didn't have my Garmin on but I felt good and strong.

Thursday
AM: 45k ride at Homebush, Group 4. It was a better group than Tuesday. Got home and then ran to work, 7k.
PM: Ran home from work 7k. I was pretty tired and kept thinking how "hilly" the run is - but its not really :).

Friday
AM: 2.4k continuous swim in 48.14. I was going to go to squad but I could not face a 5th straight day of 5AM alarm so I went to C&P before work instead. I was a bit disappointed with the time as I did not feel like I was going that slow. I am planning to build my continuous swim by 200m each week up to 3.5k, hopefully it'll get faster along the way.

Saturday
AM: 9k run, 2 laps of the Pinnacle. This is a lovely off-road loop with a big mother hill. It was a beautiful Canberra morning and I felt good but a bit tired towards the end after the 2nd trip up HB hill.
PM: CORC 3 Hour mtb race at Sparrow Hill. I have not ridden at Sparrow for ages and was really looking forward to it. But I didn't enjoy the first few laps much. I spilled some blood on the first lap and that put me off a bit. It seemed like there were more aggro riders wanting to pass in an unfriendly way than usual, but maybe I was just being sensitive. After about 90 mins it got dark and I started enjoying myself a lot more. I had my new Ay-up lights, which were fantastic. I wasn't able to push hard, it was partly physical and partly not feeling super confident on the trails. Which was weird because it was not technical at all. I guess some days you have "it" and some days you don't. But overall I enjoyed it and it was a "good training" - my mantra at the moment. I think I was 10th out of about 20 solo females. This is from the CORC website: The 296 male and 41 female riders clocked up 1829 laps or just over 13,000km of Sparrow Hill trails.

Sunday
AM: 22k-ish long run with Tom. We did an adventurous route from Hawker, past Mt Painter, down towards Lake BG, past the Cork Plantation, over Dairy Farmers Hill and then off road back towards Hawker via many hills, dales, paddocks and fences. It was a lovely route but my running wasn't. I was okay on the flat but there was not much of that and I had nothing on the hills. The dominant theme for me was seeing Tom disappearing into the distance up another big hill, like some sort of energised mountain goat. I was a bit bummed not to run better, but it has been a big week.
PM: I was staying in Canberra for the night so I went to the AIS for a lovely lovely recovery swim, spa, sauna and plunge pool. It was faaantastic.

Weekly totals
Swim: 11.k
Bike: 90k road, 30k commute, 50k mtb.
Run: 63k

All up it was a good week. If I can put together a few of these I will be on my way.

1 comment:

Hamburglar said...

If you keep putting in week's like that you may win the tripe tri ;-).

Good work Zoe!