Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Canberra Capers

We were down in Canberra on the weekend for little Miss Chloe's 4th birthday party.



But I managed to squeeze in some good running too. On Friday I did a great long run, in two parts. The first part was 20k with Tom. It was an adventure run around the back of and over the top of Mt Majura. We only averaged 6min ks, but that included lots of hills and some bush bashing. The second part was another 10k on my own. I wanted to go fast, so aimed to do a lap of Mt Ainslie in under 5min k pace. I really struggled on the up hills and had to fly on the downs to make up time, but I did it with an average pace of 4.59 and was really chuffed.

On Sunday was the 10k Canada Run for Cancer. I did this run years ago and fondly remembered the pancakes at the end, and Tom and family were keen, so we went along. I wasn't sure how I would feel after the long run on Friday, and whether a sub 43 PB would be on the cards. But once I started running I felt pretty good and thought I could do it. It was a gorgeous morning and the course is great, a gently undulating out and back. At the 5k turn-around the negative thoughts started to creep in, thinking lots of women would catch me on the way back. But I kept up a decent pace on the way back and none did. (A few blokes did.) I finished in 42.49 and 6th women, so I was really happy with it. Tom felt really sick on his run, but was pleased to finish in a respectable 46 minutes.

Now its less than a week till Woodford to Glenbrook - I can't wait! :)

1 comment:

Jen said...

Great race on Sunday Z; congratulations on being 6th woman home!

See you Sunday - I'm not running but I'll be at the finish