Monday, August 25, 2008

City to Surf 2008

This is a quick report for City 2 Surf, so I remember it for next time. In 2007 my time was 71 mins, which I remember I was disappointed with and came off not much training. This year I wanted a big improvement, close to 60mins. But in the end I was not expecting a good time due to Trailwaker training (70k run the weekend before) and no speed work. I was hoping for under 65 mins but thinking it might be slower.

In the Red group Tom and I tried to get a good start position and lined up more than an hour before the gun. After an hour I was busting for the toilet but decided not to go. It only took a minute or so to get over the start line. It was pretty congested through the tunnel, but no walking at all unlike in previous years. I had planned to go easy till Heartbreak Hill, then try and run up hard. But I found myself running pretty quick for the first few k. Its hard not to with all the excitement and other runners. After 5k I knew I had to stop for the toilet. I found a port-a-loo right by the road with no line, so the whole thing was probably done in 30 secs to a minute. I felt much better after that and set out to try and make up the time I lost. I didn't feel strong on HBH (who was I kidding about that?) and just slogged it out along with everyone else. From the top of HBH I felt better and seemed to be passing people. I flew down the hill as hard as I could - I love that section of the course when you can see and smell the ocean. I died a bit in the last kilometre to the finish and I didn’t manage to hold my pace. But looking at my watch I realised I was going to be closer to 60 than 65, so I didn’t really care. So I finished with 61.xx gun and 60.40 chip time. I was pleased and surprised with this. And wondering how much better I could have gone with a more dedicated preparation. Now I at least want to go under 60 mins next year.

No comments: