Monday, July 14, 2008

4th in line to the throne

I can so rarely think of decent post titles, but this one came to me riding home tonight. Yesterday was the Shoalhaven King of the Mountain 32k race and I came 4th lady.

I didn't have any great expectations. I thought it would be nice to try and run an average 5 min pace, but I didn't want to spoil the fun doing it. I decided to start out conservatively and not try to stay with anyone like at W2G. This worked well and meant I gradually gained on and passed people all along the way, which was nice. At the half way point I realised that I was feeling really good and should go with the flow and not let any negative thoughts get to me. I felt really strong on the hills and employed my 6ft "power shuffle" to good advantage. From the top of Mt Scanzi there is a rather step descent and it was lots of fun fanging down it. From there it wasn't far to the finish and I tried to concentrate on keeping a steady working pace. With 4k to go I thought I could probably go under 2.40 which would be good, so I pushed a bit harder. The last section down the main street of Kangaroo Valley seemed to go on a bit, but then there were a couple of bagpipers there, "piping" us on. It was really cool.

I finished in 2.38, very pleased with the time and how I ran, both physically and mentally. Then there was scones with jam and cream and hot tea for the finishers. All in all it was a really great day.

Today I feel great, not particularly sore or tired. But I am going to have a recovery week anyway.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Sensational result Zoe, congratulations!

It sounds like a fantastic event - its one my list for next year!

Anonymous said...

Cool to read your report Zoe, you ran a smart race, and your hill running is so strong, bring on Six Foot 2009 hey!?

You didn't even say anything at the finish about coming 4th! You humble thing you :)

I really enjoyed your company after the race and on the bus home.